Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Utah Trip: Thomas the Train, Cupcakes, and BBQ


To see our first post about our trip to Utah (all about Pirate Island!), click here.

To see our second post about our trip to Utah (dinner in Spanish Fork and swimming), click here.

After the nice break of swimming, we headed back to reality. The next day was the big day. No no sillys. Not the wedding! It was the day we all baked for the wedding. For the reception Grandma Karen decided to do a table full of several different types of cupcakes. The idea brought me to tears. It was such a great idea! All of us sister-in-laws were in charge of a batch of cupcakes, and we got our creative juices flowing.

So on Friday the boys were in charge of taking all the kids to see Thomas the Train, who just happened to be in Heber that day. What luck! My three boys were soooo excited. They talked about it for days and couldn't believe they were actually going to see the real Thomas! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for letting them go. It was a memorable part of their trip!
While the kids (and by kids I mean the husbands too!) were away, us girls got to work! Lindsay and Janalyn tackled the task of putting together all the flowers and the bouquet. They did an amazing job. I had no idea I had such a great florist living so close to me (I know your secret now Linz!). And Christina, Kristen, and I were in charge of baking the cupcakes and decorating them. It was so fun. Who knew work could be so fun? I guess it helped that the company was good too! And to make things even better, I got to meet my new sister-in-law Cristy for the first time. Was I the last Pearson to meet her? Maybe. Saved the best for last!!

Karen made german chocolate with homemade frosting. I literally ate the leftover coconut pecan frosting out of the pan. It was too good to waste. Janalyn made spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, and I think I may make these and eat them all the time. Even for breakfast. Yum! Kristen made chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting (Rix's favorite - he's a sucker for anything green and minty!) and strawberry cupcakes with strawberry creme frosting. These were so tasty and looked so amazing. They would be so perfect for my future girl's baby shower. Christina made caramel cupcakes with caramel buttercream frosting and it tasted like dulce de leche ice cream in cupcake form. So good. She also made lime coconut cupcakes that I am so making for my dad, those flavors are right up his alley. I made red velvet (of course, it's my specialty) and chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.

Sorry, I think I may have made all of you drool.

The table was so cute with all of the cupcakes! Karen added little candies and wrapped chocolates to the table and had a big fruit platter in the middle in case somebody felt guilty about eating all the cupcakes they could eat some fruit and feel a little bit better.
When we were done setting up, Karen, being the awesome hostess she is, had a big hot dog roast with all the fixings in the backyard at the fire pit. It was a good old fashioned BBQ, and all of Cristy's family was invited. It was tons of fun, and the homemade rootbeer was the highlight of my night! Except for smelling like campfire for the rest of the night, it was a great evening with family.
Cindy is awesome at the "deep thought" look.
Roasting dinner. There is nothing better than a roasted hot dog!
It was a little chilly but my kids were good sports, as long as they had their hoods on.
Grandpa and Linz had the best seat in the house! Right next to the homemade rootbeer. Yummmmm!
Janalyn and me warming up by the fire. Well I'm really there to roast a marshmallow. She was probably just warming up!

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Those cupcakes looked AWESOME and you might have made me drool... just a little bit. I love that idea too! We should just have a cupcake party just so we can make and eat cupcakes.

The Ross Family said...

Way to go on the cupcake pearson girls. Sounds like lots of fun!!!

Andrea M said...

I think I am going to have a party and have you do all the cupcakes....then cancel the party just so I can have them all to myself. Sounds like a great idea to me.