No, I'm not talking about Bryan - he is 4 months younger than me, and if I can him old, what am I saying about myself!! No, my dad turns 53 on Thursday, but since he is going to be at the Kitchen and Bath show in Atlanta on Thursday, we celebrated his and Crazy Uncle Dave's birthday last night. Dave requested his mom's chicken enchiladas and we had Spanish rice and Trader Joe's cornbread (so good!). After that Ron and Jodi and their family came over for cake and ice cream. I made Coconut-Lime cake for my dad and Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bites for Dave. Both were delicious, but I think next time I'll omit the coconut and just make it a lime cake, but garnish it with lots of fresh sliced strawberries. Hmmmm...oh, sorry, I was daydreaming about my cake with berries :) Anyway, it was fun to get together and celebrate! I love my dad to pieces! I see him quite a bit because I work for him, but he is such a good example to me and my family. He is very intense when it comes to something he truly believes in (think church and super Type-A recycler). He loves to spoil my kids (they are addicted to mints now) and if he is holding Cole, Cole will refuse to come to me and instead bury his head in my dad's shoulder. He stands by his beliefs and his morals, and through all that has built a successful company that is a role model for other companies around here. And even though he's getting all old and is officially a member of AARP (a huge sign you are old!) I still love him and love to be around him, even if my kids prefer him to me!
And of course we all love Uncle Dave (who is also super old now). My kids look up to him and have such a good time when he and Lindsay come over. In fact, if I know we are going to see Uncle Dave later on, I'll use it as a threat to make them behave, like "Stop hitting your brother or you won't get to see Dave and Linz tonight!" We like Dave so much we gave Cole his name for a middle name! Dave is always willing to help us out if we need it and is always a willing lego-builder with my kids. You rock Dave!
The Coconut-Lime Cake - doesn't it look fancy?
Cole and Dave pre-singing.
Cole & Dave & Papa after singing. Cole didn't care for our rendition of Happy Birthday.
Blowing out their candles.
Dave and Bryan were so excited to play pickleball barefoot. That means the weather is starting to get nicer! (It's raining today though.)
The unofficial referees. Ron and Rick.


5 comments:
What an awesome cake. I think it sounds gross, but it looks amazing. And I don't think anyone really truly appreciates your rendition of happy birthday.
YUM!!! I WANT SOME OF THAT CAKE! :) Happy Birthday Rick! Love you!
Are you the official birthday cake maker? Your mom's, dad's, and Dave's. I officially make you my birthday cake maker. And, you must deliver in person!!!
And let your dad know, I signed up for recycling. Our city just started and it will begin June 1st!!
I love that you have a computer at your home now - you update your blog so much faster! I wish I'd known about Dad's bday party being on Monday so I could send his present off early! I can't wait to make those pb cheesecake bites.
What an great time. And way to go on the birthday cake. I expect one for my birthday:-) May 25;-)
Post a Comment