Saturday, April 25, 2009

Calling All Ladies...er, Gentlemen

On Friday, Bryan, Bryce, Cole, and I participated in Walk a Mile in Her Shoes with Phase II and the MBA (Master Builders Association). Rix was in school, although I think next year we'll pull him out to do this - I think he'd have fun with it. Walk a Mile is to raise money and awareness for sexual assault in Pierce County. The idea is for men (and women, but mostly men) to wear women's shoes and walk a mile in downtown Tacoma. Some gus (i.e. my dad) wear very low-key women's shoes while some men go all out in high heels and women's clothes - some even wearing make-up! It's a great way to raise money because we all have fun seeing the men walking in these heels, but it also raises awareness for a serious problem. Throughout the walk there were people cheering us on and victims of sexual assault telling us we were making a difference - some wer crying, although I don't know if they were tears of laughter or if they were moved by the support. We passed a construction site and the workers were whistling at the men - it was funny. All morning Bryce kept saying he wanted to get some pink shoes for the walk, thanks to Bryan telling him he had to have girl shoes to walk. We ran to Wal-mart before the walk to get Bryce a pair of girl shoes (which we will be sending to Aubrey!) and I wanted to get a cute flower pair, and he stomped his foot down and said, "NO! I want the purple shoes!" in a very princess-like tone. He then insisted he get a bunch of headbands. Needless to say, he did not get the headbands, and we took away the shoes right after the walk (phew!). Also at Wal-mart (and I know some of you would pay good money to see this) Bryan searched the women's section for a hot pink shirt that would fit him. We found one that said "Next top model - you go girl!" on it, but it was too short and the sleeves didn't fit. The lady in the dressing room wasn't too sure about him! And even though I hung out with Bryan in pink socks, a pink shirt, and flower shoes and heard Bryce talk about his "girl" shoes all day, it was fun and we are looking forward to next year, where my dad insists the whole Phase II group will wear heels and dresses. I'll get dates ahead of time for those who want to fly out to see this monumental day! Enjoy the pictures below:

On the light-rail that took us to the starting point of the walk. It was really funny because there were a bunch of men on the train wearing boas and heels, and those who didn't know about the Walk were really confused. And the poor Tacoma tourists are scarred for life. When the train stopped, I said "Okay - all the ladies off here!" and they all laughed. Man, I'm funny :) I'm glad they thought it was funny instead of getting offended - the ones on the train with us were from the Department of Corrections, and they were BIG!

Bryan showing Bryce that Rhubarb is not scary, although Bryce still isn't so sure. Throughout the walk he kept asking where Rhubarb was. Some lady asked it he wanted to see Rhubarb, and we said, no, he is keeping tabs on Rhubarb to make sure he stays away!

Bryce "walking" via Bryan. He's tired because he only slept 9 hours the night before and this was all done during nap time. You can sort of see his shoes here.

Ryan and Ron showing off their shoes. You know how hard it is to find shoes in that fits these guys?

The whole gang (minus me, of course. Who else is going to take the picture!)

The Phase II ladies. My dad's are the white shoes next to Bryce and Bryan's are the pink socks with the black shoes with flowers. Nice, right? The last shoes on the right belong to James, who is huge - they are size 14s!

The family (without Rix!)

Bryce showing off his shoes. Man! I need a girl!

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I want Bryce's shoes if you feel like parting with them (and if the diva can part with them). What size are they? What was up with Dad not wearing pink shoes? I remember them doing this last year. How funny. Bryan looks awesome. I would have paid good money to see the looks he got in Walmart. I love that you have internet now too. Not only do you update your blog more often but I also don't get any more phone calls that start off with "Hey, can you look something up on the internet for me?"

Celeste Pearson said...

The shoes are size 6. I figured Jordyn is bigger than that, Madelynn already has Olivia's old shoes, and Aubrey would need them the most. I'd save the shoes for next year, but Cole is already wearing a 5 1/2, so I don't think they'll fit next year. I think Dad realized he needed to actually wear more girly shoes - we were the least "girly" group there, and dad doesn't like being shown up! Wait til next year...

Kelli said...

So next time you decide to go all blog crazy, call me so I can check more often! I'd love to be there next year, start saving your pennies now! I would love to see all those guys, especially Dad and Bryan, in their girl outfits. Be on the lookout throughout the year for a shirt that would fit Bryan.

Stina said...

How sweet of you to think of Jordyn. Let Rix do it next year and pass those to us, ok? And, I am SHOCKED Bryan would do anything so girly. He is obviously very confident in his manliness!! Maybe we'll schedule our next trip then to watch...and see if Brent would join in the fun! (What kind of bribery would that require?) And, FYI, I always think you're funny!!!

Anonymous said...

maybe you should come up with tutu's like the disneyland parade pearsons!

Ana Lee said...

That is so awesome. Phase II is such a great company. That's awesome they participate in these types of things.

The Ross Family said...

I was cracking up reading this picture. Cory got a kick out of seeing brian all "dolled up" Great time!