Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Happy Bunny Day...I mean...Easter!

I love Easter time. The colors are so pretty (and girly! I need some girly in my life!). Pinks, yellows, purples. And flowers are everywhere! My tulips are almost blooming and our Japanese maple is getting leaves! And it's an excellent time to teach my children about the Savior. And this year Easter fell on General Conference weekend! Rix was so excited to watch the prophet on TV, which I found super cute and endearing.

Most weekend mornings the kids are up before us, so to make sure that they didn't find their baskets and eat all of their treats before breakfast, we had the Easter bunny hide their baskets in impossible to reach places in our bedroom and in the kitchen.

Cole found his! In his you can see a little stuffed Pluto. A few weeks ago I was at Walmart with him, and he picked up this Pluto and holds onto it, hugging and kissing it, and saying "I love him Mommy!" I had Carissa go back and get it for me. Cole loves him! It's too cute, I couldn't resist.
Rix found his in our room. He got a Ben 10 Bionicle, which I was overly excited for! I love Ben 10!
Bryce, of course, got a Ben 10 Bionicle too :) The Easter bunny is smart to get them similar gifts!
Putting Big Chill together.
Cole opened his chocolate bunny before breakfast. He is so sneaky!

After we watched Conference (or tried to with three crazy kids running around) we went to my mom's house for an egg hunt and Easter dinner - ham, funeral potatoes, deviled eggs, veggie tray, salad, and homemade rolls. And dessert! Orange raspberry cake that was way too good!
Cole stole Aubrey's stroller while she napped and took Pluto for a ride. Cole!! It's pink!! Don't touch it!
The older grandkids. We kept Aubrey and Madelynn out for their own safety!
Opening their Easter treats from Nana and Papa.
Bryce looking for eggs.
Rix showing off his finds!
Aubrey stayed safe on Papa's shoulders.
Quick! Someone give her chocolate!
Nana made rice krispy treats in the shape of eggs, and let the kids dip them in frosting and sprinkles! They were so fun!

Cole thought Nana was going to feed him!
We dyed Easter eggs on Monday night (the week before was so busy!). The eggs turned out weird - the boys wanted to color on them with crayons after they were dry. Nobody ever said eggs had to be pretty!
I am excited for Easter time next year! The boys are understanding the meaning behind Easter (besides chocolate and eggs) and I got some great ideas on how to really teach them about Christ next year. And...I'm looking forward to another yummy Easter dinner!

4 comments:

Stina said...

I love Easter! We have so many fun traditions, it's hard to get them all in. I've haven't heard of the rice krispie eggs though. And, we should tell the Easter bunny to hide the baskets better. Kade ate all his chocolate that morning! Cole is growing up way too fast! And, Bryan is looking for skinny and toned! :)

Ana Lee said...

How fun! I wish we could have been there! I'm sad we missed out. Better planning is needed next year. LOVE all of your pictures!

Carissa Poyfair said...

No way! I haven't even blogged about Canada yet and you're done with Easier?! Crazy... LOVE the pic of Madelynn :) It was a fun and crazy day, wasn't it? We'll have to do it again sometime!

Kelli said...

So what are these great ideas for teaching children the meaning of Easter? Share! And yes, that cake was awesome. What awesome chef made that? Hmmm??? Glad you had fun, and I'm totally getting the boys those Ben 10 Bionicles for their bdays, but I want to find Rath and Humongosaur, my faves :)