Rix was on a city-league basketball team this year. And he. Loved. It. This is how it was: we signed him up for a kindergarten/1st grade team, but somehow 2nd graders were on the team, and Rix (you know, tall for his age, biggest in his kindergarten class) was the smallest kid on the team! And all the other kids had experience playing basketball before, but Rix knew nothing.
The first day of practice the coach would say "Go for the rebound Rix!" And Rix would give him a blank stare. The coach would say "Shoot a lay-up." Blank stare. "Dribble the ball Rix!" Blank stare. "Guard your man!!" Blank stare. Seriously, I wanted to go up and give the coach a piece of my mind! I wanted him to teach Rix to play basketball, but the other kids didn't need that, so Rix just ran around like a crazy kid (okay, he usually does this) and tried to keep up.
And, I have to say, we were impressed with Rix's attitude. Rix loves to win, he's very competitive, and if he isn't winning, everyone knows about it. Well, in basketball, he rarely got the ball, never got rebounds, and the entire season never made a basket (although he got to try a few times). But he loved every second of it! He would run from basket to basket, trying to guard, attempting to dribble when he had the chance, and cheering on his teammates. Because the other kids on his team were so good, our team went undefeated!
Bryan and I will work on his basketball skills this summer and into next year. I played basketball in junior high, and it's a sport I could easily do with Rix. And the fact that he loves it makes me want to keep him in it. He never complained about going to practice, and one time I forgot about a game, and he was beyond upset that he missed it. Here are some pictures of his last game. Carissa and her brood came to watch, and we celebrated with McDonalds ice cream afterwards.
Monday, March 15, 2010
The Lakewood Lakers!
Rix "guarding".
Rix is #5 - he is always #5. Why? Because that is how old he is. In a few months he'll probably pick to be #6 in T-ball. And you can't see it well, but right about the 5 is my dad's Phase II logo. He was the team sponsor!
On the sidelines. The other team only had 4 players, so we played 4 on 4, which gives Rix a chance to rest!
A blurry pic - sorry! Missing me (of course) and Cole, who is running around.
How did this happen?? No, it wasn't planned. But that's what we get for shopping at the same store!
Rix's team. He's like the Edward of the group. He's so pale!
Rix needed some help positioning the ball. Uncle Adam to the rescue!
The MVP!!
Cole at McDonalds. He does not share his ice cream!
Bryan helping Madelynn. She got all giddy when she saw the straw - how could I resist?
I don't know why Adam is up there - but we never said he wasn't a little kid anymore!
Next up - T-ball!!!
Posted by Celeste Pearson at 4:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I'd love to get Hayden into something like that, the leagues around here are so expensive! I love that he tried so hard, good luck teaching him!
What a cute kid! And, I learned something new about you--you played basketball in Junior High? Have fun teaching your boy!
I can't wait to do fun stuff like that. He is so cute! I wish we lived closer, so we could come and watch.
Lol... "Edward of the group" is too funny. We had fun cheering him on. T-ball will be lots of fun hopefully!
Rix is such a cutie, I'm glad he loved basketball so much. Hopefully he'll be more prepared next season with Mom coaching him! :)
Post a Comment