Oh black cardigan. I bought you on a sort of whim. My mom said I needed a light jacket for the cruise, because sometimes the dining rooms can be chilly, and since she was paying for the cruise I didn't argue. I saw you, hanging on a rack in Target, with a large "sale" sign above you, calling my name ever so softly. It was right before Christmas and money was tight, but I bought you anyway. Little did I know how much I needed a basic black cardigan. Little did I know how important you would become!
I wore you everyday on the cruise. Even in the Caribbean in 90 degree weather, because even though I found the dining room on the ship to be chilly, I also found the shade in the Caribbean to be chilly too. And you were there to keep me warm and fashionable. I now wear you every day, whether I'm just going to the office or out to dinner. You're small enough to fit in my purse in case I get cold while out, then I can pull you out and gratefully snuggle into you. You have even become somewhat of my trademark (next to my award winning smile and witty comments) with people often wondering where you are if, by happen chance, I'm not wearing you.
Then, the day came, as I knew it someday would, that I lost you. Oh black cardigan! Wherefore art thou! My bare arms are a little nippy. My purse has a blank spot waiting for you, like a person who is missing his soul. I've resorted to baggy hoodies that do not do my body justice and make me feel frumpy. I've even (gasp!) looked at buying a new black cardigan, but none of them measure up to your perfect fit, your soft texture, and your bargain price. So instead I find myself moping about, wandering aimlessly through life, searching for the article of clothing that completes me.
And then, like a ray of hope after a large and thunderous storm, I see something. Hope? Delirium? What could it be? But of course, you would not forsake me. There you are, after all this time. Hanging up in my closet. The one place you should be, but that I never thought to look in. You, my black cardigan, are my one true love (well, second to my family and maybe sleeping of course). Thank you for not deserting me, in my time of need, right before fall begins and the temperature drops. Heaven knows I will wear you endlessly and not take you for granted again.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Ode to My Black Cardigan
Posted by Celeste Pearson at 1:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I almost fell off my chair laughing! Celeste you are way too funny! I am so glad you were able to find your beloved cardigan and hope that you never lose it again. Also that it is made of such indestructible material that it should never (gasp) get a hole. Thanks for the chuckle!
After all this time--I thought it was lost at my house! As I was reading, I was thinking I should be looking harder for it--glad you found it!
Oh my gosh, you've finally cracked. I knew it would happen eventually, I just didn't think it would be over your stupid cardigan :) J/K... Glad you found it. It is kind of your trademark, along with your dumpy smile and stupid comments. Lol... I couldn't help it.
I am so glad you found it. I was very sad for you for a minute. You have made me a believer in the black cardigan. I am glad you found it!
Dumpy smile...LOL. I love my black cardi too but I need a long sleeve one. Let me know if you find a twinner like yours on sale somewhere!
Thanks for the laugh! You can never have enough black cardigans. Kind of like you can never have enough white t-shirts! So glad you found it!
Celeste,
I think you left one of those oversized hoodies at my mom's house while attending Carly's Baby Shower.
It's in my car, let's hook-up at Church and I will get it back to you.
Cheers,
Sue
Post a Comment