Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day. Not only because Bryan takes me to dinner and he and the boys are extra nice to me that weekend, but because I get to reflect on how much I love being a mom. This year was no exception. Bryan didn't complain when I asked him to clean off the driveway while I went to lunch and shopping with my mom, Carissa, and Kory. And he made sure that I was completely happy all weekend.

That in itself is a great present! Bryan usually makes sure I'm happy and does whatever he can to make sure I'm okay, but for some reason it means a lot more on this particular weekend!

We went to dinner with some friends of ours at this awesome restaurant called the East and West Cafe. It was a great treat and surprise because, for some unknown reason, the restaurant had been closed on and off for a few months and the last time we went it was closed! But last night it was open and we enjoyed great food with great company!

Sunday morning I got up before Bryan - I know, but before you get judgemental and yell at the computer "You are supposed to let Celeste sleep in on Mother's Day!!" - there is a good reason. First, I didn't actually get out of bed until 8:30. Rix and Bryce got up around 8am and watched cartoons and Cole slept until 9:30! But Bryan and I were assigned to talk in Sacrament meeting, and I had to get up and get ready because I was super stressed, and running late would have made it worse! So I got up, got the kids breakfast, and got ready for church.

Before church Bryan rounded up all the boys and they all brought their Mother's Day gifts to me. They were the sweetest and most thoughtful gifts! First, a few days ago, Bryan brought me some lavendar plants. I've been into landscaping my yard lately, and he thought these plants would go perfect in my yard. And smell awesome! Then, he got my a jewelry tree, which is something I have been wanting for a long time. Currently, all my jewelry is in a Tupperware. Classy, I know. Then, the best of all, he got a frame that holds three pictures, and filled each one with a picture of me and each of the boys individually. He got it to put on the wall next to my side of the bed. It is so sweet, and if you know me at all, you know I love (okay, super-love) pictures!

At church I had to speak. I try really hard to avoid topics that deal with families because I get too weepy. And I can't cry and talk at the same time because a) I can't read the words because my eyes are filled with tears and it gets all blurry and b) my nose runs like crazy and c) if I try to talk while crying, it's usually a few octaves higher than my normal voice. Not pretty. At all. But it worked out. And it's all done! That's the best part. I basically spoke on how we can become better mothers with the Lord's help in our lives.

After church we went to my mom's for super yummy Polynesian short ribs (something I request often from my dad!) and bread pudding with blueberry sauce (something else I always request!). The boys were in charge of helping make the meals and clean up. It was so nice to sit down and not feel obligated to help!

This mother's day has been great and memorable. Being a mom can be so hard sometimes. I feel overwhelmed and unqualified at moments, but then one of my kids will say something sweet or come give me a hug, and all those feelings go away! I can't imagine life without my children, and I love to have them near me and give them opportunities to grow. Being a mom is the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and I'm blessed to have the example of my own mom in my life. I often sound like her or do things she would do, and I realize I'm becoming like her in a way, and I'm okay with that! I have a wonderful husband who supports me whenever he can and who is an amazing father to our kids.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I want to hear about this walk that apparently included me! Sounds like a fun relaxing weekend, we really should be receiving those on more than a yearly basis! Glad you had a good mother's day!

Andrea M said...

Celeste...first off....your talk was superb. I felt the Spirit and I was hanging on your every word. In fact, both you and Bryan did an awesome job. I truly do not know why you were so worried. I will tell Dave that you need to do that again real soon..LOL
You are a great mom. When you were talking about Kelli and her stating that she likes to say yes whenever possible, it reminded me of Marjorie Pay Hinckley's book where she talks about being the kind of monther who says "yes" when it is humanly possible. I always have thought of that and I know that I do not say yes as often as I should when it comes to my kids. You have inspired me to add that word more to my daily vocabulary. Thanks again for being my friend. I cherish our friendship. You ROCKED today.

Andrea M said...

Forgive the bad spelling in the previous post... I am tired and I am waiting for Dave to come upstairs so we can go to bed. Forgive me please.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are an amazing mom that I look up to a lot. I am glad you had a great day. WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS IN 3 WEEKS!