Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Firemen Fishing Fair Fruit Flies Flu (say that 10 times fast!)

So nothing crazy going on here lately. But we have kept busy, trying to get out and do fun things with the kids! Here are some things we have been up to:

Our local fire station (which is right down the street!) had an open house the week before school. It was so fun! They basically opened up the fire house to the community so that we could come and see how they live and interact with them. The fire truck they let the kids climb in was brand new - they just got it in that day! It was super clean, which they assured me was not normal for their fire trucks. Rix loved the fire truck, and yes, he is showing his muscles.

Bryce loved it - I think the wheel is as big as he is!

Cole is ALL talk. He loves fire trucks! Because we live right outside the Veterans Hospital gates, we hear and see several ambulances and fire trucks every day, and every day, as soon as they hear the sirens, all three boys drop whatever they are doing (and I mean WHATEVER) and run to the front window to watch the trucks go by. So Cole was excited to see the trucks, but did not want to go near the trucks. Notice he is holding on to me for dear life? He wouldn't go by himself, so I had to climb my short little legs in there (and Carissa asked the cute fireman if he was going to lift me in there like he did all the other little kids. Nice.)

I love this picture of Bryce.

This fireman helped Cole in and out of the fire truck, and then wouldn't give him back! He asked if he could carry Cole around the firehouse, which was fine with me (if you can't trust a fireman, who can you trust?) and surprisingly Cole didn't care that this stranger had him! It was really cute.

Bryan's friend from work (he works for the sheet metal company we use) invited Bryan and Rix and Bryce to go fishing one night last week. They LOVED it! They talked about it for days, and can't wait to go again. The boy behind Bryan is his friend's son, who is just a year older than Rix.

Bryan (secretly) put most of the fish back that they caught, and kept some for his friend. He brought this one home to show me, and then he threw it away. Thankfully the boys didn't ask where their fish had gone, and I'm glad because I wasn't about to cook it up!

Now, prepare yourselves for the

PUYALLUP FAIR!

We met up with our friends Tessa and Cory and their kids Macade and Braxton, but got there a little early to eat dinner (fair food rocks!). Cole loved the Hush Puppy!

Right next to our table where we ate dinner was this crazy contraption where kids could go and bang on it with drum sticks. It was made of anything metal you can think of - hubcaps, cookie cooling sheets, scrap metal, etc. The kids loved it and had so much fun. And it was FREE (my favorite part!).

Cole was ex-ci-ted. He was having a blast banging on all the stuff! Lately at home he has had a need to pound on the walls and furniture with whatever he can find, so he loved being able to do this at the fair without getting in trouble.

Tickets were a little pricey (and by pricey I mean they asked for our money and our right arm when purchasing tickets). So we got enough tickets to let Rix and Bryce choose three rides (well, with the help of the few tickets from the Tessa and Cory we had enough - thanks guys!). Rix chose this funhouse, which Bryce wasn't tall enough to go in. He had fun, especially in the part where you go through the hall of punching bags! He stayed in there forever and pelted the next unsuspecting fair-goer. Poor other kids!

Bryce and his friend Macade on the cars. They were so cute with their little heads poking out of the top of the car!

Rix chose to go down the Super Slide (one of my favorites!!)...

while Bryce and Macade chose the canoe ride. They "helped" the canoe along by paddling with their hands, which resulted in...

very wet bums!

Unfortunately, Cole was not tall enough to go on rides this year. He was obviously distraught, but was easily distracted (thankfully!). He was breaking my heart! Next year will be lots of fun when he can go on the rides too!

We took advantage of all the free activities, which worked out well since the kids loved it! The petting farm was so fun, and all the kids loved it. All the kids, that is, except Cole (note his facial expression). I had to show him the nice little goat-y wasn't going to eat him.

Rix looking at the horses with his cowboy stance. It must be in his blood! Isn't he cute?

Cory was such a good sport. Not only did he carry Macade or Braxton around, but Cole held dibs on the backpack (we need to get one of those!). As long as he had blankie, he was happy! Bryan ended up putting Braxton on his shoulders and Bryce in the stroller because Bryce's bum was all wet still, and Braxton was not only lighter, but dryer!

Family picture! After this I went and met up with Carissa, Adam, and my dad (the ultimate fair-goer!) while Bryan took the boys home.

So I managed to keep almost all the fruit flies away this year. I canned peaches at my moms (check), I put the finished canned peaches in the basement (check), I haven't bought bananas in months (check), I keep produce in the fridge, I put all dishes in the dishwasher right away, I throw "fruit-fly-friendly" things outside (check check check). So far so good. Until I threw away a few rotten peaches in our trash can on the deck. All of a sudden I realized we were swamped - but they were mostly still outside, until Bryan took the trash can off the deck to put it on the street for pick up, disrupting the flies who flew everywhere, and at the same time the boys opened the back door to come in, letting in thousands of fruit flies. So Bryan improvised a fruit fly trap, and so far it's worked like a charm!

We still have a few fruit flies lingering, which I can live with (and I kill them on sight if I can!). But they are mostly gone. I HATE fruit flies! I just want to buy some stinking bananas!!! (I know, I can put them in my fridge, but I don't love cold bananas...)

Also the past few days our family has had it's turn with the flu. Sunday was my turn, and I stayed home from church so I didn't spread it to others (I am soooo considerate!). Then yesterday, I stayed home because I was still feeling sick, but better. Last night Bryce came in to our room and said he didn't feel good. We made it to the bathroom in time, but he threw up all night. Rix started in the morning, with Bryan feeling queasy all day. Thankfully we haven't had any throw up on the couches, beds, or carpet. They've all successfully made it to the bathroom or sink!! Hooray! But Rix still has a temperature, and I'm crossing my fingers that Cole doesn't get it (if he does, our winning streak of no throw up on the carpet may be broken).

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

You forgot to mention that Rix threw up in Bryan's truck! That was awesome. Can I have my bowl back now? Anyway, the fair looked like so much fun for you guys. And ew, your fruit flies are OUT OF CONTROL! I think I've had like 2 over here. Can't you leave bananas in something else? Like something with a lid?

Stina said...

In a nutshell...your life is craziness! I am so glad my life isn't the only one that is out-of-control. And, what's a hushpuppy? I've heard of them, have never had one, but am sure I'd love love love it.

Doesn't your very own carpet shampooer sound greater and greater as the years go by??

Carissa Poyfair said...

They aren't hush puppies, Celeste. Aren't they called crusty pups or something? Hush puppies are just deep fried dough, like the outside part of a corndog. Crusty pups (or whatever they were called) are corndogs that are made by hand at the fair.

Kelli said...

Busy you! I was loving the pictures (and wishing for a scone!) until I saw your fly pictures. Way to ruin it for me. I think that firefighter wanted to steal Cole, which is totally understandable. He's too cute!

Ana Lee said...

Looks like so much fun! Except for the flu part.