I thought it would be helpful to some of you who read my blog for me to do some movie reviews since most of us share the same values and have similar interests (come on John, you know you love Jonas Brothers as much as I do!). Since I don't see a ton of movies in the theater due to a cash flow problem and the fact that movie theaters are ridiculously expensive, some reviews will be of movies in the theater and some I see from cheap-o Redbox rentals that I watch in the comfort of my home. And if you have any suggestions (we are always looking for a good flick!) let me know!
This past weekend I went to see "My Sister's Keeper". I didn't know what it was really about and I hadn't read the book yet - but I plan to. The movie, I thought, was amazing. It tells the story from different family members' perspectives, and I think they all did an amazing job acting. The story is about Kate, who has cancer, and her family's struggles with it. Her sister, Anna, was genetically altered before birth in order to be a "perfect match" for her sister, so since birth she had been poked and prodded for blood, bone marrow, and such. And now they need one of her kidneys, so she sues her family for medical emancipation. (Don't worry - I didn't spoil anything, you can get that much from the previews!). The movie is so touching and well written. Bring your tissues (note the plural in tissueS!). Even the old man who came by himself to the movie that was sitting next to me was bawling. Really cute, but whatever. And there are some quiet moments in the movie, so if you know you have a hard time controlling your emotions, be warned that these quiet moments will give you away to the whole theater! I would highly recommend seeing this movie. It puts life in perspective and makes you grateful for what you have, especially your family and your health. You can totally wait for this to come out on DVD because a) it doesn't necessarily need to be seen on a big screen - no special effects or anything and b) you can cry as loud as you want in the comfort of your home and pause it to run for more tissues. Carissa says the book is pretty different from the movie, so it doesn't matter if you have read the book or not. And if you see the movie, let me know what you think!
Quick Notes: Bring Tissues
The "F" word is used once
No nudity
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Movie Review: "My Sister's Keeper"
Posted by Celeste Pearson at 10:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I can't wait to see it except Jage won't see it with me. Maybe I'll grab Melanie or Stina for a girls night out?? I love tearjerkers! You ought to start your own blog for just movie reviews!
Love the movie review idea. I have a friend who reviews books she's read on her blog. I think you did a great job with the review!
Barely even know who they are Celeste
So funny: I just reviewed 2 movies on my blog. Good Idea with the trailer! By the way I didn't even make it through the trailer without tears! lol.
Great idea doing movie reviews. This is one I've been wanting to see. Glad you like it, but I really don't feel like crying!!! That's why I haven't watched the Pursuit of Happyness or Charlie yet. Maybe I'll rent all 3 and have a cry fest in one night...especially if I'm going to the pool the next day and want to lose all my water weight...
Post a Comment