Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Out of Gas

So Bryan and I decided to take up running so that we can be healthier and lose weight. We have a VA Hospital literally next door, and to run there and back is about 2 miles, so we decided that would be a good place to start. Now I haven't actually ran for exercise in almost five years. In fact, if we could afford a gym membership I would never run but instead would kick box (I love it!!!). Kick boxing is so fun, but I can't do it at home because it's no fun without a bag to kick and punch. Anyway, last night as I was getting the kids ready for bed, Bryan came in and suggested that I go for a run while he put the kids to bed. I changed my clothes amongst crying kids who didn't know where I was going, but wanted to go with me nonetheless. Being the favorite parent is so hard sometimes! So I gave in and plopped them in the running stroller with their jammies on and their blankies because, despite it being June, it is still cold here. Within a minute I was cramping on my side, but I ran for at least a quarter mile (stop laughing - that is good for me!) and then I did some speedwalking. I did intervals of that - running and speed walking - because I need to build up my endurance again and I would have passed out if I didn't. I decided that running with a stroller is way hard - how to you move your arms while holding onto a renegade stroller?? Rix and Bryce were holding my water bottle and I slowed down at one point to take a drink. Rix asked why I was drinking water and I said I was tired and water made me feel better. He looked puzzled and then said, "Like you need more gas so you aren't tired? Are you drinking gas?" I laughed and said, "Something like that." On the return run I must have looked exhausted or crazy or something because Rix turned around and said, "Mom, I think you need more gas." Little did he know I needed something else - like an oxygen mask or life support services. Anyway, Bryan and I are trying to be serious about running and getting healthy. It was hard and I felt sick afterwards, but it made me excited about running and I want to do better. And Stina makes running sound so fun! So send me some running support and ideas on how to gain endurance and whatever - the next time you see me I hope to be so tough with muscles and lungs of steel!

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Rix is way too observant. I don't think Olivia knows anything about how cars need gas or anything. How funny. Next time I want to see a picture of how you look when you "need more gas". Way to go running! I'm proud of you.

Stina said...

Well, I am so proud of you! We are going to be a running family--dang it! So--just know you are at the hardest part. Once you get consistent, it gets much much easier. Even training for a marathon isn't as hard as what you're going through right now. Hang in there--keep it up! And try to go three times a week. My sister has a podcast or something for beginning runners. I'll ask her about it!

Kelli said...

I too would like to see pics! I do yoga once a week and next session (end of June) they are offering it twice a week. You wouldn't think yoga is difficult but even the really toned guy next to me was sweating. Getting into exercise is hard, but like Stina said it gets easier as your endurance builds. You're crazy though, I wouldn't have done running to get healthy, I much rather prefer my Core Secrets and the Y. Good luck! I want to see some toned legs next time I see you!

Shannon said...

Way to go Celeste. I know with running you get results fast, but my bad knee's don't allow me that opportunity. I just have to continue with the power walking. That I can do. When can we get together and visit? It's been way too long.

Shannon said...

Tell Kelli that my comments don't show up on her blog. I've tried.

Adam said...

I am out of breath just reading about your run.

Cee Cee's Blog said...

Make sure that you stretch because i always felt really horrible when I would go running and didn't stretch but when I did it was so much easier because your muscles are nice and loose. And I love you run with music so you should try that too.