So many of you know that I have questions as to whether or not my house is haunted. There are some reasons to think it is (remember Rix seeing the man standing next to me that went into the wall) and then there are reasons that I doubt it is haunted (like common sense!). It's possible that Rix made up the story, but he is very much not creative at all. So the question remains, and I'm okay with that. It's actually become a joke, and an excuse as to why things happen in the house (i.e. I blame the "ghosts" for drinking Bryan's Mountain Dew, when it was really me in a state of desperation). Anyway, so Monday morning, at around 4am, I heard rustling noises. It was rather loud - it woke me up - but as soon as I got out of bed to investigate the noise stopped. I reasoned the ghosts would know I got out of bed. It freaked me out a little, but I went back to sleep (I'm so brave). Then Tuesday I heard the same thing. I tried to wake up Bryan. He heard the noise, and came to the conclusion that it was probably an animal under the deck, and I could hear it so well because the vent is right by our bed. I didn't fall for this half-hearted reason because I knew the sound was either coming from the kitchen or the basement. Wednesday morning at 4am again I heard the noise. Like plastic crinkling. I was real stealth-like and crept from my bed to the kitchen. I was by the back door looking into the kitchen and I could hear the plastic crinkling again. My mouth literally dropped open in shock (and horror!). I was so quiet that whatever was making the noise didn't know I was there, so I jumped and stomped on the kitchen floor. And then I saw a little thing jump like a foot off the top of the stove. I screamed bloody murder and went running into the room. Bryan - who had no idea what was going on - jumped out of bed ready to defend off an attacker or whatever, as I came running in saying (or screaming) "We have a freaking MOUSE! That was the noise I heard and I SAW. IT. JUMP!" Bryan was a little irritated, because he didn't think that was scream-worthy (he didn't see it jump) and said we'd take care of it in the morning. All I could think about was what cereal the mouse was eating. Our cereal is on a shelf system by the oven, and I was praying he wasn't eating the Cocoa Puffs. The next morning I checked every single box of cereal and oatmeal, with no sign of the mouse. I was frustrated, because I was sure that the sound I heard was cereal bags, and I knew it was a mouse (I did see if after all). So I went to work and carried on with my daily life. That afternoon, Cole was being particularly whiny, and I was trying to start dinner. So I reached in my little bag of chocolate chips on the counter by the stove and saw...mouse holes. WHAT!?! The mouse ate my chocolate chips! Does he know who he is messing with?? I threw them away (it was sad) and disinfected the area - but of course I sent a picture of the holey (or holy??) bag of chocolate to Bryan's phone for proof I'm not crazy and we do have a mouse. Rix and Bryce love that we have a mouse. Rix (whom let me remind you, is not creative) decided to name him Chocolatey or Eater - it's interchangeable - and he and Bryce spend the afternoons looking for him and planning his demise. They really like the idea of smooshing Eater, but I'm sort of against mouse guts on my floor, especially the carpet since I know I don't have gut stain remover. They even convinced themselves that Eater is in Cole's closet because they can hear him "kissing". I asked "Kissing another mouse?" And I was informed that Eater was kissing Cole's things in the closet because Eater thinks they are his presents (we have never kissed our presents, so maybe Rix is a little creative). Regardless, we are buying a mouse trap (not sticky paper - the Lafrancas have made that mistake for us - and we learned that lesson loud and clear) to make sure we get it. My only rule is that Bryan takes care of the remains and I don't have to see any sign of its death. So wish us luck - and if I hear a snap in the middle of the night, I'll know what it is.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I don't see how this solves the creepy man in the wall that Rix saw, but I still laughed the whole way through it. I love that you were concerned about your Cocoa Puffs. Way to prioritize. Seriously, I was crying I was laughing so hard!
This. Is. Not. Funny. Carissa - get ahold of yourself. I have a MOUSE - let me spell it out for you M-O-U-S-E in my house!!! This is a serious matter! :) But I'm glad I can amuse you.
I'm glad you've sort of figured out the whole haunted house thing, although having a mouse is just as bad. I'm glad we could teach you a lesson, but remember Hayden got his fingers caught in the other kind of trap so they aren't that great either. I too was laughing so hard I was crying, I'll have to read this next time I'm having a rough day.
I too, was DYING LAUGHING! I wish Kory wasn't at work so I could read this to him, haha. I'm glad you solved the mystery with your stealth sneaking skills! Sorry he ate your chocolate, haha.
Good luck!
Thats so funny!! Mice freak me out too.... we had a nasty black RAT come to our sliding doors back in Washington. It was so gross!!
No no no no no! Do not use a mouse trap. Our house was vacant for a year and we had lots of mouse poos everywhere and could hear them in the walls. I got that mouse poison and put it under the sink and in the garage (where the kids couldn't get them). And eventually, the mice all went away. I didn't have to deal with decapitated mice because the poison makes them thirst and when they go to get a drink (outside) it activates the poison and they die. So, there you go--no sticky stuff or mouse traps!!!
I am so sorry! That is horrible. Best of luck getting the mouse and sterilizing your kitchen. We had a mouse and I felt like I couldn't eat in there for a week. I scrubbed and scrubbed my counters. Good Luck!
Post a Comment