Friday, April 25, 2008

Married-People Dating

I was watching the news the other day and they had a special report on how people can make their marriages last longer - of course I immediately thought "have date nights" since that is what we hear so often from other couples. Bryan and I don't have date night as often as we'd like, but when we do it is often (okay, always) going out to dinner and then something else, like renting a movie or doing a little shopping without the kids (freedom!). So anyways, the special report said that *surprise* dating was the key to a longer marriage because it brought back the romantic love that people feel when they are first married. You may know it as the "honeymoon effect". I'm not saying that I don't love Bryan, but the honeymoon is definetly over for us - wait, we never had a honeymoon! But, the report said that having a date night isn't enough. The key - and this is important - is to go on dates with your spouse that are exciting, new, and different than your usual date. No dinner and movie! They suggest trying new things - take a dance class together, try rollerskating in the park, rent a bike built-for-two! (And now I'm out of creative ideas!). The report said that doing new and different things with your spouse allows those feelings of excitement and nervousness to come back, and you displace those feelings to your spouse, which allows you to feel that romantic love again. So go on date night - but be creative! And then pass those creative ideas on to me (I need all the help I can get!).

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I need all the help too! We have date night about twice a month with our babysitting group, but it's ALWAYS dinner. We should find some fun things to do. Bring on the ideas- just make them cheap ideas!

Stina said...

I love this post! Thanks sharing the info. I agree entirely. I want to be romanced! Any chance we can get our hubbies to read this?

I love the idea of roller blading or biking--although I'm not sure Brent would be a fan. I loved the scavenger hunt date we did last summer. I like riding the ski lifts up the resorts and seeing the fall leaves. And, I want to try rock climbing.

Keep the ideas coming!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I like to go places that I would go to with my kids, but can never enjoy. Like the zoo or museum. I know that in the winter here in Cleveland they have these sleds you can go on that is almost like the luge in the Olympics. It's a thrill (kind of like the Alpine Slide but in snow) and I am so excited to go there with Adam this year! Something like that. You just have to research cheap and free things in your area. Celeste, you could go snorkeling in Steilacoom?

Roger said...

I love it! Thanks, I got excited just reading about it. I can't wait to have kev read this. We will let you know if we do any thing fun. This si going to be so fun. Only 2 1/2 months until the 4 of July, Wahoooooo.

Kelli said...

We need to go on dates more too, we only do one a month =( You will have to ask people in your area for some ideas, maybe the the summer coming you can find some outdoor activities that are new to you. And we're right there with you...dinner and a movie, that's about it for our dates =)