Every year for the past four years, my dad's company, Phase II, has joined the Master Builder's Association for the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event, a fundraiser for the Sexual Assault Center of Pierce County. The idea? Men literally walk a whole mile in "her" shoes, meaning women's shoes. Some men (ahem...my dad) wear really comfy women's shoes, like pink tennis shoes or Keds or Crocs. Other men really get into it, wearing heels I would think twice about wearing, and even adding boas, frilly hats, and nailpolish to the mix. Bryan has always worn some flat canvas shoes, but this year, while on a random trip to the Goodwill to find Rix baseball pants, he actually found a pair of size 12-wide black peep-toe heels, and they were only $6. And they say modern miracles are dead...
But you should have seen Bryan walking around the Goodwill carrying his heels. He got some pretty long and curious stares.
Bryce skipped school and went with us and so did Cole. Bryce was going to wear a pair of Olivia's shoes, but that morning Rix (my ultra super anti-girl child) sort of made fun of Bryce wearing girl shoes, and so Bryce changed his mind. Cole, on the other hand, threw a big fit because we weren't getting the girl shoes on him fast enough! The best part (here's a good story for you) was Bryan put his heels on with a pair of my pink knee high socks at the car, and then walked to the tram that would take us to the Walk a Mile starting point. Carissa, who came with us to photograph the event, and I hung back because, um, we were NOT walking with him. But Cole and Bryce didn't care that their burly dad was in heels. Until Cole sort of walked in front of Bryan, and Bryan, being a little off balance, ran him over and made him fall to the ground. And I yelled "Oh my gosh! That little boy just got ran over by that man in heels!" It was really funny. At least Carissa and I thought so. Anyway...
It should be noted that Bryan is a very good walker in heels. Almost too natural...
The walk went really well though. Bryan was a hit, and most of the time we walked with Rhubarb, who is the mascot of the Tacoma Rainiers, the minor league baseball team here. Bryce used to be terrified of Rhubarb, but Cole thinks he's a celebrity. And since Cole was being, well, Cole, and clingy and wanted to be held, Rhubarb took pity on my huge pregnant self and carried Cole for a few blocks. It was awesome! Cole wouldn't let Papa or Bryan carry him, but Rhubarb was allowed to.
Now that you've read about the walk and the heels and the pink socks, I think you deserve some pictures. Words just don't give them justice. Oh, and I love being able to say "Bryan, you left your heels in my van. Can you please get them out??" How many of you wives can say that to your husbands?? Huh?
Monday, May 16, 2011
Bryan Wears Heels Better Than Me...did I catch your attention?
Bryce posing on the tram that takes us to the starting point.
Cole was a little grumpy.
Some men take this thing very seriously!! Those are some killer shoes!
The picture you've all been waiting for. Bryan in all his glory! You can also see Cole's shoes. Them men behind Bryan are Phase II guys too - you can see their comfy shoes. Someday they will graduate to heels too!
The MBA guys.
Rhubarb saving me - with paparazzi Carissa following.
A close up of Bryan's legs. It's funny now because the kids refer to those socks as "Daddy's socks". Um, no, they're mine!!
The Phase II crew!
Bryce sporting Papa's shades.
Cole and Daddy bonding over their shoes.
Posted by Celeste Pearson at 10:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
That was really funny when he ran over Cole... ah, good times. Bryan's always good for a laugh :) Thanks for letting me tag along to take pictures! I forgot that meant I also had to walk a mile, but it was still fun!
Bry's socks are amazing!! I love the combo of those and the heels, he's a trend setter for sure. I think I might try it out this sunday! :)
Post a Comment