Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Desperately In Need of Your Expertise!

Rix and Bryce share a room out of necessity, meaning if we had an extra room they wouldn't be sharing. Not because they don't get along - it's exactly the opposite! They get along way too well at night. They have bunk beds, and after the lights are out and we've given them a few minutes, we will almost always find Bryce up in Rix's bed with all his blankets and pillows. Or, sometimes, Rix is down in Bryce's bed with all his blankets and pillows (I don't know why they do this because they aren't planning on sleeping!) and they have toys and books surrounding them. Last night I went in there about seven or eight times. The second to last time I went in, Rix was down in Bryce's bed and they all their Legos dumped out and they were playing. The last time I went in (about 2 1/2 hours after bed time) Rix was asleep and Bryce had redumped the Legos (aaaaah!) and taken all his clothes off the hangers and put all the hangers in his bed. This is an every night occurence! They talk, play, turn on the lights, get toys and books, come out (and out and out and out), get in each others beds, and do pretty much anything but sleep. So my question to all of you: How do you get your kids to go to sleep after they are in bed? I wouldn't mind if they read books quietly for a few minutes before peacefully falling asleep or even if they talked quietly, in their own beds, and then drifted off to lala-land. I can't put one of them in Cole's room because they would play with him, and I can't get mad at Cole for playing! He's only 18-months old and doesn't quite understand yet. Please - what are your tricks! How do you do it! Help me - before I resort to duct tape or worse!

7 comments:

Stina said...

Maybe I want to see what you would do with duct tape (Bryan must be your husband)!

We've had a similar problem. I play music when they go to bed. And, if they're too rowdy, I separate them. One goes to bed in my bed, or on the couch, or something. And, when they fall asleep I move them back into the room. It turns out to be a reward for them to go to bed together.

Good luck!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I read in a magazine about someone who put three pennies on the dresser for her children, and every time they got out of bed or called the mom in for something, they got a penny taken away. In the morning if they had any pennies left they got to keep them for their piggy bank to save for a toy or something. I don't know if bribes work for your kids, but maybe?

Kelli also separates Roman and Hayden when they don't fall asleep. Hayden sleeps in Kelli's bed until they are both asleep and then she moves them. Good luck!

jason and john pearson family said...

My mom made us sleep on the stairs... even when Bryan was always the instigator! These stairs were nasty too.

Kelli said...

Well Carissa totally gave away my idea. I just have Hayden sleep on my bed until they are both asleep and then I move him. Also, if Roman keeps playing I move him into the pack n play. I like the penny idea of Carissa's too.

Anonymous said...

My Grandma had a harness for the bed that she would strap the kids down with; I can see if you can borrow it. :-) As for me I have to lay down with Jimmy until he falls asleep or he plays and gets out of bed.

Dani Dooley said...

Combine the strap with the duct tape! No? Ok, well I have had this problem and have tried several different things that have worked with my kids.
1-sit next to the bed in the room and read. Not to them, just a magazine, book or scriptures to yourself. Quietly read while they fall asleep. If they try to get up or talk, glare! :) That's what I do with Cora.
2-When Heath and Kirkham were little I would let them take 3 books to bed. Each time they made a noise or commotion that prompted me to come into their room they lost a book. If I had to go in 4 times (no more books) then the lights went out.
3-I am really so mean that I have, more than once, taken all toys away from my children, packed them up and put them away in the garage until they earned them back. I know, way extreme, but then they can't play and dump and destroy when they are supposed to be nodding, and drifting and dozing. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Rix does not have a good history with 3 pennies at bedtime!