Friday, August 8, 2008

My Other Bad-Mom Moment

So most of you know that I don't really feel guilty giving my kids soda if it's diet (hey, no sugar!) and way less guilty if it's caffiene-free, which I don't let them have caffiene anyway because I love when they sleep well. In my defense, they don't get soda often, but if we are at Nana's and she has a Diet Sprite, I will let them have a small cup of soda. And out to dinner? Bryce gets milk (he LOVES it) and Rix gets 7-Up. So my other Bad Mom Sin? I teach my kids their colors with M&Ms. I know I know - we are facing an epidemic in obese children and my kids get treats a lot. But it worked so well with Rix - he knew his colors before he knew animal sounds! But Bryce? Let's just say he is on the opposite spectrum when it comes to caring about his colors. He just wants the M&M. Usually I will get an M&M out and ask Bryce what color it is. 99% of the time he yells out the first color that comes to his head without even looking at the M&M. Then he will go between two colors - Blue! No, Orange! No, Blue!, etc. And the M&M is yellow. When we tell him what color it really is, he laughs like "Oh, DUH! What was I thinking!" and then grabs for the M&M. This has been going on for like six months. We were concerned that maybe he is color blind, but I really think the problem lies a lot deeper than that - I think he flat out just doesn't care what color the M&M is. He loves them all and just wants them in his mouth. So to illustrate out latest attempt to teaching him, I will share the conversation that went on between Bryce and I on Wednesday morning (I know - M&M's in the morning! That's like double-bad-mom!):

Mom: Bryce, what color is this M&M? (FYI:it's green)

Bryce: (without looking) Blue!

Mom: No, Bryce, look at the M&M. What color is it?

Bryce: Um, orange!

Mom: No, not blue or orange. What color is it?

Bryce: Orange!

Mom: (rolling my eyes) It is NOT orange. Are you listening to me??? You can have it when you tell me what color it is.

Bryce: (looking intently at the M&M as if it is going to yell out the answer for him) Um..... hot dog!

Okay, if he thinks hot dog is a color we have just taken a serious step backwards in teaching colors.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

You know, I really don't think he cares about his colors. And hot dog is a color. It's brown =) We are teaching Roman his colors because he likes to draw with Hayden to we talk about the colors, but he isn't like a pro yet or anything. We can't have M&Ms in the house, I'd eat them all! And you're not a bad mom. If we had to roll your kids out the door then we'd have an issue.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Olivia learned her colors through M&Ms too, so I'll join your bad mom club. Jack doesn't even know his own name yet, so I'm not too worried about starting colors on him. How funny that Bryce just yells out a color. I'd want the M&M too, by the way. Look at the bright side... at least he knows what a "color" is! I'm beginning to think Jack will only know pink and purple!

Celeste Pearson said...

P.S. I don't really think I'm a bad mom - I just know there are people out there who will gasp in utter shock at the things I feed my kids. If I really thought it was that bad, I wouldn't do it. :) But for those who gasp in shock at my kid's consumption of M&M's and soda, they do get fruit and veggies on a daily basis.