Friday, December 30, 2011

Feeling Blue at our SMURF Party!

I remember watching cartoons as a kid. I know I watched quite a few, but I only remember specifically watching a few: He-Man, Thundercats, and Smurfs.

So you can imagine how excited I was when my kids discovered Smurfs playing on one of their cartoon channels, and of course I didn't mind sitting down and watching it with them. I LOVE the Smurfs! I love how they use the word "Smurf" interchangeably, I love that they live in mushrooms, and I love how Grumpy Smurf "hates" everything. Really, whenever one of my kids says something like "I hate cleaning my room!" I think of Grumpy.

So you can imagine how awesome it was when I saw that there was a new Smurf movie coming out, and even more excited when Crowdtap invited me to throw a Smurf Movie Party! Really, I love any excuse to party, but give me a theme to go off of and it's even better. And the theme for our party?? Fun, kids and BLUE!

Crowdtap also invited Carissa to throw a Smurf party, so we combined our meager budget and our creative skills (and of course our kids) to have a party to celebrate the release of The Smurf Movie on DVD and to do other fun Smurf-related activities.


First we let the kids color and design their own Smurf hat. It looks a little "Pope-ish" but you get the idea. They were really excited about this and had a great time coming up with things to put on their hats. Rix has a picture of Gargamel with the words "I Hate Gargamel" written on it. I'm sure this would be a bestseller hat in the Smurf village.

There were lots of color pages and games for the kids to do as well, you know, to get into the Smurf Spirit!! These were found at "Smurf Happens" - check it out! You could throw a Smurfs party as well!
The kids wanted it to feel like a sleepover so they pulled out blankets and we turned out the lights. It was so fun to see the young and the older kids laughing and having a good time!


We served blue cupcakes with blue frosting (they were Smurf-alicious!!) and blue Smurfberry Lemonade to the kids as well. Even Jacob got in on the blue frosting action!

I really loved this idea of throwing a "DVD release" party. So many good movies have come out lately for kids that are good clean movies, but are also funny and interesting enough to keep my attention as well. What better way to celebrate that than throwing a party! And it's something I think my kids really enjoyed and would love to do again. I can't wait for the next good cartoon to come out so we can party all over again! Any good ideas of what movies are coming out that we could celebrate?

0 comments: